Take part in a few Audax rides and before too long you'll hear someone mention "PBP" or even "The French Ride". PBP - or Paris-Brest-Paris, to give its full name - is the world's largest and most prestigious long-distance cycling event.
Every four years, in August, more than 6,000 cyclists from around the globe converge in the south-western outskirts of Paris with the aim of riding from there to Brest, on France's north-western tip, and back, covering 1,200km in fewer than 90 hours - and considerably fewer for the very fastest. Few who take part will ever forget the experience.
Audax UK was originally formed in 1976 to make it easier for cyclists from the UK to enter PBP by holding qualifying events in the UK. 1979 saw 49 British finishers, in 2015, more than 400 members successfully completed the ride and then in 2019 nearly 450.
One AUK member, Richard Leon, has so far completed the event 9 times.
For lists of AUK PBP finishers from 1971 to present day click here.
The next PBP will take place in 2023. For more information on the history of PBP click here.
Entry Process for 2023
The process for entering PBP will begin in January 2023 when 'register your interest' opens. You have to make a partial payment at this stage and choose a start time.
'Registering your interest' is done in stages usually 2 weeks apart, thus:-
- Registration opens first for anybody who has ridden a BRM 1000k event the previous season.
- 2 weeks later it opens for anybody who has ridden a BRM 600k event the previous season.
- 2 weeks later it opens for anybody who has ridden a BRM 400k event the previous season.
- 2 weeks later it opens for anybody who has ridden a BRM 300k event the previous season.
- 2 weeks later it opens for anybody who has ridden a BRM 200k event the previous season.
- 2 weeks later it opens for everybody else.
- To demonstrate that you have ridden a BRM event the previous season (sometimes referred to as pre-qualifying rides) you will be asked for the validation number which can be found on your brevet card or on-line. It possibly goes without saying but the longer the ride you have done the previous season will give you the best chance of being accepted if entries outweigh places. It will also give you a better chance to select your preferred starting time.
The registration link is here.
Once you have registered your interest you must qualify by riding 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k events. All must be BRM events and all must be ridden in the time frame below (NB this varies between countries - below is so the UK). If you do not do this you WILL NOT be able to enter because you will have to enter the validation number for each qualifier. Payment is made at this stage and unlike LEL does not include food at the controls which has to be paid for as you go.
- 200k: Sat 7 Jan - Sun 30 Apr
- 300k: Sat 11 Mar - Sun 21 May
- 400k: Sun 9 Apr - Sat 10 Jun
- 600k: Sat 6 May - Sat 24 June
More details at the official PBP website
The item has been added to your basketClick on the basket icon above to go to checkout